Certified Marine Surveyors & consultants
OIL AND FUEL ANALYSIS
The main benefits of oil analysis are that a laboratory can determine the presence of foreign substances; such as salt water, coolant but also the presence of foreign particles as a result of extreme internal engine wear.
The concentration of the foreign particles will be compared with the average quantity of particles in combination with the total running hours of the oil inside the engine. The lubrication oil sample is taken when the engine is hot. The sample will be examined in a laboratory.
Oil analysis, in general, consists of the following research:
- Identification of the lubrication oil.
- Presence in the lubricating oil of liquids such as fuel, seawater and coolant could indicate internal leaking of gaskets and lines.
- Presence of certain particles such as iron, chromium, lead, aluminum etc., indicates wear of the cylinder liners, piston rings, bearings etc.
- Presence of external particles such as dust and sand could be an air filter failure indication.
- Contamination of the lubricating oil by non oil-soluble parts such as soot, could indicate incomplete combustion probably caused by a low compression
On the customers instruction VABIMEX can take the oil samples on board to have them analyzed in a laboratory. The results of the analysis, accompanied by our recommendations, will be included in our report.